Sunday, January 31, 2010

"For a Monther"

Tomorrow is February 1st. I often find that on the first of the month I try to do "for a monther..." Such as: I'm going to workout everyday for a month, or I'm going to wake up earlier this month, or this month I'm going to finally file my taxes from last year (dad, I've done this, it's just an example!) The first of the month is like a whole new mini-New Years day. "Ah today is the first, time for a fresh start!" As an added bonus, there are 12 of these in a year, so that if I fail my current "for a monther," I don't have to wait long before I change ideas or try again.

Well, February's monther isn't for my benifit. It's not for my health, or the community, or even my job. For the entire month of February I'm going to buy everything that's advertised to me. Sort of... I'm obviously not going to buy cars and houses, even though I predict they'll be marketed to me. But if I'm at my vice, fast food, and they offer to supersize my meal- I'll do it. If I get cold called... sold! If I see car services advertised, I'll take my car in right away. Ok, obviously I am not going to purchase all of these things, but I will certainly act like I have, and religiously document everything for this blog (which is my first).

Why do this? As consumers, there's a lot thrown our way. And I think as bothered as people are, they have no idea just HOW MUCH stuff is pitched to us. So I'm going to make it my job to one-man case study the current advertising trends of what a typical consumer is exposed to. For this blog's homework (I'll ask "homework comments" from you with each post) I would like you to guess how much this is going to cost me. Just assume I'm going to buy everything.

8 comments:

  1. Well done for a firster. Id say you'll spend at least five hundred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee hee. Steven, for a "seller," you sure are a buyer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll spend at least $5,000! With every commercial on tv, in the paper, on the computer... Oh ya at least 5 G! I hope this is pretend money. Don't go back to scrounging for change to get ten five cent cheese burgers that you will have to freeze to last you all month... :) Good luck on your monther! Luv Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. i say two grand easy. this is based on the fact that i do pretty much buy every offer and Im ususally broke at months end!

    like the blog Eng! good luck!
    ...and be careful when watching TV past 11pm :0

    -Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder the exact criteria of your documentation because you would pass a lot of ads just driving from Tigard to your office. And will you count an ad multiple times, fir example if you pass the same auto shop every day do you count it every day? Regardless, I think it would be in the tens of thousands, just think of how many fast food places are along 99, each advertising big mac snack wraps and five layer burritos. You will be at $200 by the time you get to you office just off fast food ads.

    Fuki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steven,

    I will test your commitment to this right away. I invite you to purchase the following: http://www.amazon.com/San-Diego-Chargers-Vintage-T-Shirt/dp/B002LKAEI0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1265051041&sr=8-6

    I mean it is a sexy t-shirt so chances are you probably already wanted it.

    My guess ($1362.78) spent.
    -JRad

    ReplyDelete
  7. After day one it looks like most of the guesses will be way off. Someone said at least $500 and I'm already there. Another said don't watch TV after 11pm, and that was my first two items purchased!

    I will NOT be purchasing any Chargers t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have one question for you... Are you here for the Love of Ray J? haha
    From you purchasing the hamburger from last night my guess is that you will spend at least $15,000, you will also gain about 20 pounds and overdose on sleeping medicine.
    I think I should buy the cat food today otherwise you will purchase every cat toy, bed, motorized water dish, and food dispenser in Petco. What if I did make the cat food purchase today, would that go against the rules because I don't want you going broke in Petco?
    How will you distinguish purchases that have a contract? For example a membership that would last for a year advertised to you? Since it is outside of the month would you not consider purchasing it or add in the amount of early termination?
    Good luck on day 2! Love you!
    PS You should shop around stores that advertise lingerie.

    ReplyDelete